As much attention as new megayachts get, and deserve, the people behind them deserve attention, too. This is why the International Superyacht Society (ISS) created its annual Awards of Distinction. They celebrate excellence in craftsmanship, among captains and crew, in environmental leadership, and more. With the nomination process now open, the ISS is seeking input from all sectors of superyachting.
While the people who submit the nominations are kept confidential, the nominees themselves receive recognition via social media as the award ceremony draws near. Winners are announced at the ISS’s annual Design & Leadership Awards Gala, on October 30 in Fort Lauderdale.
You can nominate a deserving candidate for the Awards of Distinction in the following categories:
- Artisan Award. Whether they’re a welder or woodworker, the ISS considers them an artisan. So, too, are craftspeople who sew, chisel stone, and select precious materials. Gavin Rookledge of Rooks Books won last year, for his leather-wrapped books, considered must-haves by owners and collectors worldwide.
- Business Person of the Year. Among the personal Awards of Distinction, this honors a professional exhibiting excellence in his or her niche over the past year. Gulf Craft CEO Mohammed Bin Hussein Al Shaali received accolades last year for growing his shipyard from a small boatbuilder to a superyacht power.
- Distinguished Crew Award. Has your crew set a prime example of what it means to be a professional? Capt. Mike O’Neill of Katherine (above) received this last year, for leaping into action following Hurricanes Irma and Maria.
- Technology Award. The Awards of Distinction further recognize a person or company who pioneer useful systems or naval architecture.
- Fabien Cousteau Blue Award. Those who stand out for their oceanic and environmental conservation and preservation receive this recognition. Florida’s Loggerhead Marinelife Center won in 2017, for rehabilitating and preserving sea turtle populations. Nominees may also integrate environmental-oriented technology aboard yachts.
Submit your nominations via the ISS website link below.
International Superyacht Society Awards of Distinction superyachtsociety.org/Awards/AwardsofDistinction