Visit a megayacht charter website, and you will find ample information on destinations to visit, as well as things to do there. But, some of the details sound awfully the same, from website to website. Instead, wouldn’t it be better to read insider information about awesome yachting destinations? Who better to turn to for this than the megayacht crew who travel there? OceanScape Yachts just did, asking crewmembers to share their favorite places and specifically what makes them so special. They are:
1. Paxos and Zakynthos, Greece. Capt. Nikos Tsoukalas of the yacht Manu loves the island of Paxos for its “crystal-clear waters, nice beaches, traditional villages, and a lovely small town, which gives you the opportunity to walk, enjoy the view, and explore the tradition of the Ionian Sea.” Meanwhile, one of Tsoukalas’ colleagues likes a different island. In fact, his chef, Fotini Pilarinou, says Zakynthos is among the awesome yachting destinations to visit. Highlights there include the stunning, renowned Navagio Beach, a.k.a. Shipwreck Beach, solely accessible via the sea. Pilarinou further says the Blue Caves (above) and Keri Caves, also only reachable by boat, are spectacular. Plus, “Zakynthos has a traditional and very lovely town where you can explore and learn the traditions of the island.”
2. Croatia. Devon Hunt, a deckhand studying to step up to first officer, prefers this corner of the Mediterranean. “Island hopping every other day, being able to tie up to trees close to the shore and the amazing picturesque old towns make for a really great summer destination!” he says.
3. Norway. The southwestern fjords attract more and more yachts every year. With scenery like the glacier above, it’s no wonder that chief officer and She of the Sea founder Jenny Matthews declares, “Norway is just Norway! Absolutely fantastic.” (Check out our own first-person account, by our editor, as to why Norway is rising for luxury-yacht vacations.)
4. The Amazon. This exotic locale among yachting destinations gets high marks from Sam Mujica, a stewardess. Besides the Amazon having the world’s largest tropic rainforest, it has diverse wildlife and lush landscapes. Mujica personally went backpacking through the Gran Sabana, a few miles inland in Venezuela as well as from the Brazilian border. It was eight days of “the most amazing and breathtaking views I’ve ever seen in my life.” She highly recommends heading to Angel Falls, too, the world’s tallest uninterrupted waterfall.
5. The Maldives. Besides loving Norway, Matthews says the Maldives is tops among must-visit yachting destinations. “I’m an avid diver, and the diving is second to none in the Maldives,” she asserts.
OceanScape Yachts oceanscapeyachts.com